Friday, March 28, 2008

The Stupidest/Best Idea Ever?

Backpacking through Central America for 6-8 weeks come June.

My freelance/project work is ends in a few months. Sure I have little money and even less sense of where to find it, but when can I do something of this magnitude again (answer: when I'm staring out the window of a cube and my "imagination takes flight" or whatever they said during Reading Rainbow)? My roommate and I are going (it's really her trip I'm hijacking) and other people will float in and out, depending on how well I can talk them into it. It's really exciting and not just a little scary to think about.

My mother has begun sending me horror stories from the Center of Disease Control. My father is shaking his head. Is it really true that as a girl, or even two girls, we're just not allowed to see certain parts of the world? Even if we fancy ourselves smart and plan, there are so many unknowns. I hate that the final bastion of inequality is at the center of what I want to do with my life, which is explore, be intrepid, feel free to be solitude and silent or just blow where the wind takes me.

I hate that the last time I did this, I was with a guy, so it was all okay, and that I'm not allowed to do it alone...it doesn't seem right...but maybe it is...

Have any of you done this before? Am I out of my mind?

8 comments:

C-47 said...

Do it!

Anonymous said...

Not at all. I lived in South America for a few years, sometimes on my own, sometimes with others. So long as you're street smart and don't flaunt what others don't have, you'll be fine. Two girls, a guy and a girl, doesn't matter...any way you spin it, you're foreigners. You'll draw attention to yourselves. So long as you're friendly and respectful, though, you'll attract far more friendly, helpful people than the alternative. And remember: Thousands of people have taken trips like this before!

Katie said...

lostgirlsworld.blogspot.com

have a WONDERFUL trip!

JUST ME said...

Just carry a scary switchblade and major 'tude. You'll be FINE.

Lavore said...

I'm going on a hitchhike journey this summer. I'm taking a guy. The first time I hitchhiked I got picked up by a guy who offered me some "crystal" and then began to drive away from our agreed upon drop off spot slowly before looping back around and letting me out. Maybe there are ways to deal with this. I don't know. Now I feel safer with some one else.
I think two girls together would be fine though.

Broady said...

My sister has done this a few times, through Peru, Honduras, and a few other countries in S. America. She even traveled through Colombia (not smart) by herself for almost two weeks... some of the time by herself, other times she met up w/ other travelers, usually guys (and Australians) b/c she was surfing.

She had a great time, but I think she had the most fun when she felt more secure w/ a group of people.

Anonymous said...

people used to be nomadic... i think it will feel completely natural once you are on the road...

jon said...

There isn't anything you can't do if you want to, but it's just whether you come back or not from doing those things that people are worried about. But 2 people is a lot better than 1, have fun.