Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Try, try again...

I took the GRE this morning and let me tell you, I did AWESOME…

…on the math.

What’s that? I’m trying to go to grad school for creative writing you say?

Right, that means I’ll have to take it again on January 8th. I actually did fairly well on the verbal, but to get to go where I want to go, I have to do fabulously (aiming, if you can believe it, for the 95% and above mark). I’m unfazed—you’re talking to a girl who had to take the SATs three, count ‘em, three times. Hey, no one ever said I was a good test taker. Or smart.

Luckily I have enough time to take it again. I called a few programs due around that time and they’re fine with reporting the scores after the manuscript is in. Now all I have to do is get the gumption.

I’m looking forward again, because this has been a rough year and 2007 has got to be better. New job and its stressors, long term relationship dissolution, parent battling a life-threatening disease, and applying to eleven graduate schools all happened within a three month period. In 2007, I’m going to take it s-l-o-w. Pool and star-gazing. Lots of cocktails served poolside by pool boys. Annabella and I already planned a week in St. Maarten for April and if all goes well, I’ll ditch the 9 to 5 for good in July. I’m promising myself a French bulldog in October for my birthday. Next Christmas, I plan not to invite cancer, thank you very much. That’s my plan, and I feel good about it.

Now to hell with dorking it out like I’ve been doing for the past month. Classes are over and I’ll study on my own time, which means cramming the day before and somehow pulling it off by the skin of my teeth.

Tonight, SushiSamba with a shimmering blonde and her shimmering brother. If all goes well, we’ll hit Milk and Honey and I’ll have fodder for a descriptive scene filled with fatty tuna, coiffed bartenders and artisanal raspberry coulis served atop a strong drink.

I’ll need it. It’s been a rough fall. But all that means is just picking myself up and steadying for the next. So I’m going to try again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're kind of an inspiration!

Cheetarah1980 said...

Hey! Congrats on the math. Sorry the verbal didn't go exactly the way you wanted it to. Before you take the test again though, I wonder if it's necessary. I'm sure your overall score was way above average. And from all my reading MFA programs really don't look at the GRE (that's mainly for the graduate school's benefit). The writing sample is about 90% of the decision. Then the personal statement. Then the recommendations and so on. If you're writing sample is as good as I know it will be, you should have no problem getting into a great program.

I'm by no means an expert, just relaying some of the information I've researched. I wouldn't want you to stress yourself or waste money on a part of the application that isn't as important in the overall scheme of things (depending on the school of course).

GeminiWisdom said...

So, what will you be doing once you ditch the "9 to 5"?

Hope your New Year is a good one.

Miss Scarlet said...

Oh man, I can only take tests like that once. Once I know how horrible they are to take, I can't make myself do it again. I only took the SATs once.